CARMEL COURT Formerly SAXONIA FLATS Built in 1896, this prettily decorative block of flats would certainly have formed a landmark on the edge of the mining town. The shops on the ground floor echo the shape dictated by the diagonal line. Presumably the name change occurred with Anti-German feeling in World War 1. In 1987 Carmel and NathansonÕs Building were earmarked for demolition but a public outcry led architects RFB to a new solution. This involved shifting Gardees Arcade further west and cantilevering the proposed new office block, preserving the original arcade to this day.