ENGINEERING WORKSHOPS SOLOMON STREET In 1905 the Town Council established workshops for the Town Engineer, which were extended in 1908 to house heavy machinery. In 1940 the City EngineerÕs workshops were extended, including training facilities for artisans. The restructuring of the Metropolitan Council in 2002 made the City EngineerÕs Department redundant, and in 2006 the Headquarters for the CityÕs Library and Information Services moved into the workshops.