Arts, Culture & Heritage

The Playmakers

Last Updated: January 25, 2024
Artist

Ernest Ullman

A Brief History

The sculpture was commissioned in the context of the construction of the Johannesburg Civic Theatre (now known as the Joburg Theatre). The German born sculptor, Ernest Ullman, moved to South Africa in 1935 and rapidly established himself as an artist of significance in Johannesburg. He was the official artist and designer for South African Chamber of Mines, and produced numerous public sculpture commissions, murals and stained glass works. Like the Miners Monument, the artwork is part of a group of older and more traditional public artworks that can still be found in the inner city. The Playmakers was donated by Dr Rudolf Jordan and Mrs Charlotte Jordan nee Kirchoffs.

Description

A bronze cast sculpture of three women in a circle holding hands and leaning back. The sculpture stands in water with little fountains sprouting towards it at approximately 3m high and 2m diameter.

Artwork Signage

The sculpture was commissioned in the context of the construction of the Johannesburg Civic Theatre (now known as the Joburg Theatre). The German born sculptor, Ernest Ullman, moved to South Africa in 1935 and rapidly established himself as an artist of significance in Johannesburg. He was the official artist and designer for South African Chamber of Mines, and produced numerous public sculpture commissions, murals and stained glass works. Like the Miners Monument, the artwork is part of a group of older and more traditional public artworks that can still be found in the inner city. The Playmakers was donated by Dr Rudolf Jordan and Mrs Charlotte Jordan nee Kirchoffs.

Location & Address

163 Civic Blvd, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001