Arts, Culture & Heritage

Impala Stampede

Last Updated: July 30, 2023
Artist

Hermann Wald

A Brief History

Impala Stampede was commissioned by the Oppenheimer family and donated by Mr Harry Oppenheimer to the City of Johannesburg on 16 July 1960, in memory of his father Sir Ernest Oppenheimer.

The sculpture was originally located in the Oppenheimer Park behind the Rissik Street Post Office. However, after the heads and legs of some of the impalas were sawn off by vandals in 1999 the sculptors restored the sculpture and it was relocated to the Main Street precinct and was unveiled on 21 May 2002 by Mrs Bridget Oppenheimer.

The Anglo-American offices that now look over the Impalas are a fine example of art deco architecture in Johannesburg. Anglo-American is one of the oldest and largest mining companies in South Africa, started by Ernest Oppenheimer in 1917.

 

Description

Situated in front of the Anglo American Building, the ‘metal” life-size sculpture of 17 impala in a graceful arch over a fountain. The fountain and architectural friezes associated with the Anglo American building show scenes of wild-life and a mythologised marine life.

There is a plaque with an inscription on the ground which says “Impala Stampede”

Artwork Signage

Impala Stampede was commissioned by the Oppenheimer family and donated by Mr Harry Oppenheimer to the City of Johannesburg on 16 July 1960, in memory of his father Sir Ernest Oppenheimer.

The sculpture was originally located in the Oppenheimer Park behind the Rissik Street Post Office. However, after the heads and legs of some of the impalas were sawn off by vandals in 1999 the sculptors restored the sculpture and it was relocated to the Main Street precinct and was unveiled on 21 May 2002 by Mrs Bridget Oppenheimer.

The Anglo-American offices that now look over the Impalas are a fine example of art deco architecture in Johannesburg. Anglo-American is one of the oldest and largest mining companies in South Africa, started by Ernest Oppenheimer in 1917.

 

Location & Address

45 Main Street, Johannesburg. Main Street Precinct. Situated in the pedestrian walkway in front of the Anglo American Building.