THE CAPERS (formerly DAVAAR) Designed in 1918 for Mr and Mrs T.J. Welch by Cook and Ralston, architects of the original Pretoria Town Hall, this gracious home was acquired in 1924 by Bridget and Orlando Leake. A staunch Wesleyan and a Rand Pioneer, Mr Leake served as a councillor on the Johannesburg Council for twenty-seven years without remuneration, and as Mayor from 1925 to 1926. Orlando Township in Soweto was named after him in recognition of his concern for disadvantaged communities.